A Follow-Up on Player Housing
Recently I made a post talking about the player housing announcement in Star Wars: The Old Republic and what my minimum expectations were for such an expansion. Let’s address my list now that they’ve made a much more detailed announcement, shall we?
– You can only have a place on either Coruscant or Dromund Kaas (obviously faction specific)
Obviously this has been addressed. You can have a place on Coruscant, Dromund Kaas, AND Nar Shaddaa. Since it’s legacy wide, you can maintain all three, but obviously faction specific delineations are present so you can only visit your faction restricted locales. No problem here, but I hope they introduce other locations for residence such as Alderaan or Corellia.
– You can’t decorate/move objects around the interior/add objects to the interior at your whim
According to them, you will be able to decorate. I’m not sure as to the versatility of the decoration functions, but we’ll have to see. Right now they say we can personalize our strongholds.
– You will be allowed to have amenities in your player house, but you’ll have to pay cartel coins or vast amounts of credits to get them (like on your personal ship and they’d be the same thing just paid for separately, so you’d have to buy the mailbox for your ship separate from the mailbox for your house)
No comment on this, but since there was a mailbox in the background of the initial trailer, I’m going to assume that this is the same as I predicted until proven otherwise (like the mailbox is a fixture everyone gets for free or whatever).
– The place will cost a certain amount of credits or cartel coins to purchase and will cost credits to maintain (another of the credit sink locations in the game)
Yup, they’ll cost credits or cartel coins. “You will be able to purchase ownership of Personal Strongholds with credits you earn in-game or with Cartel Coins in the Cartel Market.”
– There will be special housing locations you can purchase via the cartel market that aren’t available to people who don’t have cartel coins (maybe not)
No word on this yet, but the Nar Shaddaa Sky Palace is a special location available to people who are subscribed as of the 11th of May.
– This will allow for new cartel market items that add stuff to your player house that do nothing but appeal to the part of the player base that loves collecting things from the boxes of stuff
No clue on this one either.
– The player house will be impractical to access and therefore will lose a lot of its value to a significant portion of the player base upon its release (there will be much scoffing and derision thrown around about this)
Also no clue. It IS legacy wide though, so it makes it more practical than previously expected.
– You won’t be able to interact with the scenery outside of the already existing emotes (by which I mean there won’t be any scenery interaction like laying on a bed by clicking on it, you’ll have to jump onto the bed and use the lay down emote like in LOTRO)
No word on this either, but it’s a safe assumption based on the limited interactions characters can have with scenery right now.
Further, there are some other things to note on their announcement page:
– “Invite Your Friends – Show off your latest collection to friends as you take a moment to relax before your next big adventure.”
This implies to me that you can bring your group to your stronghold (much like you can bring them onto your ship) and you’ll have a variety of objects you can populate the space with.
– “Gain Prestige – Increase your character’s “Prestige Score” each time you add a decoration to your Stronghold – earn top ranking on the public Stronghold Directory and make a name for yourself among the galaxy’s elite.”
Okay. A new metric for measuring my stuff against another’s. Great. That said, this is a good incentive for a decorating community to grow (something I mentioned I missed).
– “Legacy Stronghold Storage – Unlock access to a new type of storage that is shared across your entire Legacy!”
THIS RIGHT HERE is lovely. Shared storage across your whole legacy? Brilliant way of making it practical. I’m sure it’s going to have a credit/cartel coin sink to increase its capacity like all the other storage in the game, but that’s par for the course.
Now, one more massive kicker…
“You will earn a set of starter decorations when you purchase your first Stronghold. Many decorations will be available on existing vendors throughout the game as new rewards for Reputations, PvP, Crew Skills, and more. While some of these decorations will be available for credits and other currencies, many will require components created by crafters. Decorations can also be obtained as loot drops from Flashpoints and Operations. Finally, a variety of unique decorations can be purchased with Cartel Coins on the Cartel Market.”
THIS. THIS IS WHAT I WAS WANTING. All we need to see now how versatile the interior decorating mechanic is and BOOM, I’m sold.
A side note: they’re introducing Guild flagships to the game. I’m not sure what the plans are for the future and they don’t seem to have much in the way of function, but this is already one step farther than Star Wars Galaxies was able to get. Mainly, I remember a rumor back in SWG’s heyday that we were going to be able to have guild flagships, but it never came to fruition. Basically what we got was a special group mission where you invade a rogue Imperial Star Destroyer and fight your way through it to either blow it up or capture it or something. I never did it, but I remember when it launched.
All I can say now is… I can’t wait to see how this all works out. Well, that and, “When can we decorate our starships?”
Until next time!
P.S. Here’s the latest trailer: