Discussion – Pathfinding for an Oracle
So, I’m currently playing an Oracle with the Life mystery in my weekly Pathfinder game. We’re getting very close to level 4 so that has me thinking about which feat to take at level 5. Allow me to detail the choices I’m looking into:
1) Mobility: You get a +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against attacks of opportunity caused when you move out of or within a threatened area. A condition that makes you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses.
2) Improved Channel: Add 2 to the DC of saving throws made to resist the effects of your channel energy ability.
3) Extra Channel: You can channel energy two additional times per day.
4) Cooperative Crafting: You can assist another character in crafting mundane and magical items. You must both possess the relevant Craft skill or item creation feat, but either one of you can fulfill any other prerequisites for crafting the item. You provide a +2 circumstance bonus on any Craft or Spellcraft checks related to making an item, and your assistance doubles the gp value of items that can be crafted each day.
5) Improved Initiative: You get a +4 bonus on initiative checks.
My explanations for these choices below:
1) I’m the party healer. Being able to move through a combat zone without worrying about getting hit just for passing by is a great thing. This will allow me to be a lot harder to hit while moving through enemy controlled terrain so I can do my job for the fighter, the paladin, the rogue, and the wizard in my party. Admittedly, there hasn’t been a lot of need lately for me to move through threatened areas. I think it’s happened once in the last three or four sessions.
2) I’m not a fan of my channel energy being resisted by the undead we’ve been fighting. This will make my channel positive energy to deal damage to undead harder for them to resist. Admittedly, we’re nearly done with this part of the campaign and I can’t speak to the amount of undead we’ll be fighting in the future.
3) I don’t just use my channel positive energy for damaging undead, I can also use it to heal my party. Two extra uses a day would be very nice.
4) Our party wizard is a crafter. By taking this feat, I can actually halve the time it takes for him to make equipment for our party. Admittedly, I’d have to throw a skill point here and there at the relevant crafting skills to help him out, but I only have to throw one point at each craft skill necessary for the job at hand. Not a big deal for a human who gets a spare skill point every level anyways.
5) This feat is always good to take. It’s a nice fallback feat.
Anyways, I currently have the feats Dodge (a +1 dodge bonus to my armor class is very nice and it’s a prerequisite for Mobility, detailed above), Extra Revelation (which gave me the ability to channel positive energy), and Selective Channeling (so I can avoid our half-vampire party member when I damage undead with my channel positive energy).
Further, these choices may be narrowed down in the very near future thanks to needing to gain a whole other level in the interim. Maybe by the time I have to make the decision on which feat I want, the choice will be much clearer.
Until next time!
P.S. “However much men may honestly endeavour to limit the exercise of their discretion by definite rule, there must always be room for idiosyncracy; and idiosyncracy, as the word expresses, varies with the man.” Lord Coleridge, C.J., Reg. v. Labouchere (1884), 15 Cox, C. C. 425.